reviewsmag.co.uk is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. This does not affect the price that you pay and helps us to get the information to you for free.
If you’re a gardener, or you have started getting into gardening recently, then the chances are that hedge shears will already be a part of your gardening tools, or on your list of things to buy. So let’s take a look at the best hedge shears for your garden.
First of all, what are hedge shears? Hedge shears look like giant scissors with long handles to help you reach high spots. Hedge shears have straight edges that are designed for also cutting straight edges, making them perfect for rectangular hedges that you may have. They are best used on plants and hedges that have not so thick stems. They do, however, work perfectly in cutting shorter stems, allowing for a clean and easy cut.
Despite their name, their only purpose is not to cut hedges, in fact they are a multi-purpose gardening tool that will definitely be worth it for any gardener. If you do have hedges, then they are perfect for maintaining a neat and rectangular shape to your hedges, but if you don’t, then hedge shears are also perfect for cutting back your perennial plants such as roses and hot lips. Trimming most perennials regularly throughout the year encourages more growth the next time around. The long handles are also helpful, ensuring that you can get to your harder to reach plants and taller hedges. They are a helpful tool that I would recommend to all gardeners as they are bound to make your gardening life easier and quicker.
The type of hedge shear that you buy all depends on what purpose they will serve. For example, if you have tall hedges, you’ll likely be looking for hedge shearers that have extra long handles so that you can reach the tough spots easily. The blade is important, a straight blade will be the most multi-purpose. Blades tend to come in stainless steel, high carbon steel, and a non-stick blade. Stainless steel is a reliable material that is essentially resistant to rust, high carbon steel however, is probably the toughest blade choice and it is easy to sharpen, non-stick blades are great for a messy gardener who has sappy plants and likes a quick clean up. The length of the blade should also be considered and comes down to what you will be using the shears for. For example, if you will be using them for cutting hedges, you’ll perhaps be looking for a longer blade. Handles are also important when making your final decision, of course handle length is likely what you’ll be looking at first. You may even opt for a telescopic handle that will allow for good control when cutting your perennials back, but it will also allow you to easily reach your tall hedges.
So let’s take a look at some of the best hedge shears for your garden.
- 🌿 𝐋𝐄𝐒𝐒 𝐄𝐅𝐅𝐎𝐑𝐓 - Let your shears do the heavy work. This pair reduces the effort required for each cut by at least 40%, allowing you to achieve more with less effort whilst saving time- Let your shears do the heavy work. This pair reduces the effort required for each cut by at least 40%, allowing you to achieve more with less effort whilst saving time
- 🌿 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐑𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓 𝐀𝐍𝐆𝐋𝐄 - These garden scissors are ideal for cutting and trimming hedges, as the handles are slightly angled, allowing you to take full control of your shears and to manoeuvre around tricky corners with ease and confidence
- 🌿 𝐏𝐑𝐄𝐂𝐈𝐒𝐈𝐎𝐍 𝐂𝐔𝐓𝐓𝐈𝐍𝐆 - The heat-treated and hardened blades are made from rust-resistant and highly durable SK5 carbon steel. They are less likely to nick and require less frequent sharpening
These shears have a long blade and short handles that will make them perfect for trimming back smaller hedges, but they will also work perfectly in looking after your perennials.
- Fast efficient cutting
- Tough and durable
- Genuine Spear & Jackson product
Similar to those above, these shears have a shorter handle, although the blade doesn’t look as long. These will also be perfect for cutting shorter hedges and for cutting back your perennials. The carbon steel blade adds to the appeal for this product due to its durability and ability to be sharpened, meaning that these shears will last you a long time if you look after them.
- Ideal for trimming and shaping hedges and decorative shrubs
- Power-Lever technology multiplies leverage to give you up to two times more cutting power than traditional single-pivot hedge shears
- Gator-Blade serrated blades grip branches and stems for clean cuts
With a short handle and short blade, these shears are once again perfect for shorter hedges and the cutting back of perennials. The product claims to give two times the cutting power than normal shears, making them stronger and able to cut thicker branches, the blade is also serrated, giving the shears a better grip and allowing for a cleaner cut, but they are also self sharpening. The price will set you back, but for shears that will last you a lifetime, I’m sure you won’t regret your purchase.
- Exceptionally light: With 23 cm-long steel blades with serrated edges to make cutting easy
- Easy to handle: Strong leverage and greater range thanks to the telescopic handles, ideal for extending your working reach
- Work without getting tired: Optimum shock absorption thanks to ergonomic aluminium handles with integrated impact buffer
These shears have telescopic handles that make it easier to reach tall hedges. The blade itself is slightly smaller in order to give you more control when cleaning up your hedge. These are perfect for somebody who wants to maintain their shrubs, perennials, and their tall hedges.
- Geared mechanism for easier cutting less user effort required
- Hardened carbon steel blades for durability
- Lightweight aluminium handles finished with non-slip comfortable grips
The design of these shears is simple but effective, and will suit somebody who is looking for shears to maintain their small hedges, and/or perennials and shrubs. The handle and blade on this pair of shears is short and will therefore allow maximum control when cutting and trimming.
- Ultralight hedge shears weigh only 670Grams, 30% lighter than standard hedge shears
- 8" non-stock coated blade for a smooth clean cut
- Strong and durable aluminium handles with a comfort soft grip for hours of pleasurable use.
The handles on this pair of shears is slightly longer and will allow you to reach your tall hedges. They are a cheaper but effective option and will definitely make cutting your tall hedges much easier.
Topiary shears are another option depending on the type of garden that you have. If you have topiary plants, then topiary shears will of course help in your ease of care. Topiary shears are also known as sheep shears, they are best for cutting soft plants and they are used one handed. They are easy to use and also quick, and for someone who likes to have full control over their cuts, topiary shears are the perfect option. So here are some of the best products available online:
- Straight edged blade
- Double bow handles and unique hand grip position give accurate cutting
- Draper Guaranteed Product
These topiary shears are perfect for trimming smaller shrubs and will ensure that you have maximum control. They are tough and durable and great value for money.
These shears have a light build with carbon steel blades, creating a durable and lasting product that will help you to care for your small shrubs and topiary plants effectively.
If you’re looking for more tips on how you can use shears most effectively, take a look at our article on it here: https://reviewsmag.co.uk/best-garden-trowels-uk/