reviewsmag.co.uk is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. This does not affect the price that you pay and helps us to get the information to you for free.
We all know the pain of redecorating, and will do anything that we can to simplify the process. If you have decided on a suave new wallpaper for your house, then you may be looking for a wallpaper steamer to remove your old wallpaper, and in that case, this is the perfect guide for you. We’ll take a look at some of the best wallpaper streamers that are available on the market.
Stripping wallpaper is a boring and time consuming job, and just when you think it’s over ‘oh, there’s another bit’. Most of us will start the job with a scraper, but in order to save time and effort, investing in a wallpaper steamer is a brilliant option that you will not regret.
So, what is a wallpaper steamer? A wallpaper steamer is a tool that uses steam to break down the wallpaper paste that is holding your wallpaper to the wall. It works kind of like an iron, but it directs the steam through the bottom plate and onto the wallpaper.
So, what should you look for in a wallpaper steamer? The best wallpaper steamers have an in-built thermostat that helps to regulate the temperature and keep it at the most efficient setting. You should also make sure to purchase a steamer that has a pressure release valve, those that don’t can be a hazard as it may be prone to blowing up and spilling boiling water everywhere. For a decent one, you’ll probably be looking to spend around £35.
Let’s take a look at some of your options:
- Quick and easy removal of old wallpaper using steam
- 100% environmentally friendly, no chemical additives
- Long steaming times allow uninterrupted steaming of larg areas
This product features a rib design that helps to keep the tank temperature low, making it safer to use. However, it is not clear whether it has a pressure release valve, and/or a thermostat for regulating the temperature. If you’re interested, then you should definitely inquire about these two things.
- STEAM-ASSISTED TECHNIQUE – ideal for assisting the removal of all kinds of wallpaper, including multi-layered, textured, and painted ceilings and wall coverings. This steamer softens the glue/paste used to hang wallpaper and makes removal quicker and easier
- EASY TO USE – fill the detachable 2.5L water tank, attach to the main unit and use the steaming plate against the suitable surface. The heat-resistant hose and plate handle, as well as wheels and unit handle make the whole process hassle-free. Built-in water softener demineralises hard water to prevent limescale build-up and prolong performance
- EXTENDING PLATE – use the steamer plate attachment to adjust the size of the plate – the smaller plate is ideal for smaller spaces around plug sockets and light switches
This also looks like a reliable product, but again it’s not clear whether it contains a pressure release valve or a thermostat. If this product looks like it would suit you, you should ask the seller about these things first.
- For quick and easy removal of wallpaper from walls and other flat surfaces
- Large steam plate covers a large area to save time
- Safety release valves so that the unit will not overheat
Black + Decker are a popular brand amongst home decor tools. This product features a pressure release valve, but it is not clear if it has a thermostat. The plate for steaming is fairly large, meaning that it will be faster to finish the job. It looks like a reliable product, but you should inquire about the thermostat.
Again, it’s not clear whether this product has a pressure release valve, and it’s also not clear if it has a thermostat. So I would definitely recommend inquiring about those before purchasing.
- Voltage/Frequency：220-240V/50Hz, Input Power：1850-2200W
- Boiler Capacity: 5L Max. (Approx.), Steam Time: 70min
- Black Tube Length: 3m, Black plate size: 28 x 20cm
This wallpaper steamer does contain a pressure release valve, and it is sure to regulate the temperature so that it doesn’t overheat. It looks like a decent product, but the downfall lies with the size of the plate, for quality, you may rather go with the Black + Decker steamer.
Although a steamer helps massively, unfortunately it can’t do everything and you will likely still need to do some scraping. Here are some scrapers for you to use:
- [High Quality] - The sharp filler knife is made of 3CR13 stainless steel that is strong and corrosion-resistant. Blade in a mirrored polished finish was designed for anti-rust and easy cleanup
- [Ergonomic Handle] - The handle of the wall scraper is made of rubber, which gives you a comfortable edge to grasp and lets you work with minimal effort. There are anti-slip patterns on both sides. Hallow design on the handles for easy storage on nails or pegboard
- [Different Sizes] - The scraper tool comes with 4 different sizes: 12.5cm, 10cm, 7.5cm, 3.8cm (5”, 4”, 3”, 1.5”). The assorted sizes of the filler knife set meet your different needs for home drywall repair and more
If you have your new wallpaper picked out, then you may wish to read our article on plastering, here: