reviewsmag.co.uk is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. This does not affect the price that you pay and helps us to get the information to you for free.
Eyeliner is an essential product in any make-up bag and can make all the difference to your appearance. It helps to bring out your natural eye colour, as well as increasing how thick your eyelashes look. Even on your sleepiest mornings, it can really make a difference to your appearance and help you look wide awake. Today’s article is all about the best hypoallergenic eyeliner.
Many people struggle to find make-up that’s suitable for their skin due to allergies. Hypoallergenic is a term you may have seen before on a make-up product or skincare bottle’s label. It means that the product causes less allergic reactions than other ones; however, it doesn’t mean there’s no chance of a reaction or that it would necessarily be gentle on your skin. If you’ve struggled to use eyeliner before and found that it’s really irritated your eyes, trying out a hypoallergenic product would be a good idea. However, if you know you are allergic to a particular ingredient, it’s always best to check the label first to ensure it’s not included.
Best Hypoallergenic Eyeliners
Now that you know what to look for when comparing eyeliners, here are some of the top eyeliners available at the moment.
Bourjois 2-in-1 Khôl and Contour Eyeliner and Eye Pencil
- 2-in-1 khol and eyeliner to emphasise the eyes
- Soft and blendable texture ideal to apply on both the water and lash line of the eye
- Enhanced by soft pigments to provide intense result from the very first stroke
- Hypoallergenic, gentle for the eyes formula enriched with natural wax and vitamin E
- Long-lasting, up to 16-hour hold
Known for their classic make-up looks, this hypoallergenic eyeliner from Bourjois is a steal at just £3.79. Available in eight different shades to match your desired look, it’s a 2-in-1 product that works to fully emphasise the colour and shape of your eyes. It has a soft texture, which makes it easy and comfortable to apply. You’ll find this eyeliner is gentle on your eye area, thanks to the natural wax and vitamin E used in the formula. The best thing about this product is that while it’s gentle, it’s also incredibly long-lasting, staying put for up to sixteen hours on your eyes.
Bell HYPOAllergenic Deep Black Eyeliner Pen Marker
- Felt tip
- Exact eyeliner with intense colour
- 24H formulation
- Vegan product
- Free from fragrances
Bell HYPOAllergenic specialise in creating products for sensitive skin, so you know you are in good hands with this purchase. Coming in at just £5.49, this eyeliner pen is easy to use and has been ophthalmologist approved. You’ll appreciate its wide tip which makes application much easier and allows you to choose between a thick or a thin line to suit your needs. It’s a deep black colour, which creates an intense and long-lasting look.
Physicians Formula Eye BoosterTMLash 2 in 1 Boosting Eyeliner & Serum
- Your beauty secret - High-tech formula enhances the look of your lashes while providing instant definition as a liquid eyeliner! Lash boosting complex targets the base of lashes for best effectiveness
- JAPANESE FORMULA - Innovative and easy to use eyelining tool delivers effortless definition. High-tech Japanese formula is long-wearing, water-resistant and smudge-resistant
- Safe and reliable - at Physicians Formula we always ensure safety and quality for our cosmetic products. They will never disappoint you!
- Where nature meets science - at Physicians Formula, we select pure and effective ingredients from around the world. Skin deserves maximum well-being and we keep that promise everyday
- Minimum ingredients, maximum performance - Our formulas are made with few ingredients, but tested for maximum performance, so you'll never have to sacrifice your health for beauty
All of Physicians Formula’s products are hypoallergenic, and the brand formulates their make-up especially for sensitive skin. For £10.02 you’ll appreciate the high-quality of this 2 in 1 product that has the benefits of both an eyeliner and a serum to boost your eyelashes. It’s gentle to apply and will help encourage fast growth for your lashes. This can even double up for use on your eyebrows, and you’ll see an improvement to your hair’s thickness and length within just four weeks of use. With over 80 years of experience, you know you are in good hands with Physicians Formula’s products if you struggle with sensitivity around your eyes.
Burt’s Bees 99.9% Natural Nourishing Eyeliner Pencil
- Soft black eyeliner: Compliment your natural eye colour with the fade and smear resistant soft black eyeliner that is specially formulated for your delicate eye area
- Nourishing ingredients: Made with responsibly sourced cedar wood and 99.9 Percent natural origin ingredients including nourishing jojoba, meadowfoam seed and mango oil
- Easy application: Safe for sensitive eyes and contact lens wearers, easily swipe onto upper or lower lash line for an instant pop of colour to enhance and beautifully define your eyes
- Eyeliner pencil: Cruelty free and available in thmree distinct shades, enhance blue, green, brown or hazel eye colour with soft black, midnight gray or warm brown eyeliner
- Natural makeup: This Burt’s Bees eye pencil is ophthalmologist-tested, formulated without parabens, phthalates, SLS, petrolatum, talc, synthetic fragrances, or silicones. Never tested on animals
Burt’s Bees are well known for their natural beauty and skincare products, and this eyeliner pencil contains 99.9% natural ingredients. This eyeliner comes in three different shades that will compliment your eye colour and won’t fade or smudge while being worn. It’s formulated with the eye area in mind and contains an ingredients list that you’ll know and understand, including jojoba and mango oil. Application is very easy, even for contact lens wearers, and Burt’s Bees’ products are also cruelty-free and never tested on animals. The price varies by colour, but you’ll find the soft black pencil for £10.79.
Bare Minerals Lasting Line Long-Wearing Eyeliner
- Experience natural-looking matte skin with the bareMinerals Matte SPF15 Foundation
- a lightweight mineral formula that delivers buildable, sheer-to-full coverage with a shine-banishing matte finish.
- Expertly designed for all ethnicities and skin tones, our high-performance pressed powder foundation is available in 20 true-to-you shades
- Item Display Volume: 1.0 milliliters
This eyeliner in Absolute Black is one of the best hypoallergenic options on the market and comes in at £18.00. Bare Minerals are known for their mineral-based make-up range, which is the ideal hypoallergenic solution for those with sensitive skin. This twist-up eye pencil has a rich black colour that’s long-lasting and easy to apply. It’s gentle on the eye area thanks to the blend of vitamins and minerals that will nourish your skin while being worn.
What to look for when buying a hypoallergic eyeliner?
While hypoallergenic products should reduce the chance of any issues and irritation, unfortunately, there may still be some issues for users with sensitive skin. Therefore, it’s important to compare eyeliners before going ahead with your purchase. As with regular eyeliners, you’ll have multiple options which allow for different application methods. Kohl pencil eyeliner is the most traditional option, but now you can also buy a felt-tip or art eyeliner, which allows for easy application. Gel or cream eyeliners have become increasingly popular, but require a higher skill level to apply. While also quite difficult to apply, liquid eyeliners give a bright and bold effect once mastered.
The first thing you should look at when comparing products is the ingredients list, particularly at any active ingredients that will come in direct contact with your skin. Don’t risk buying an eyeliner that has an ingredient you know causes irritation for you, and if you don’t understand the chemical names listed, look them up online to find out what they are. The more natural ingredients that you find on the list, the better, as chemicals are much more likely to cause a reaction.
You’ll want to try and find a product that isn’t too oily, and also that’s not waterproof. Both of these can really irritate the skin, which is what we are trying to avoid. As with any make-up purchase, try to find an eyeliner that is easy to use and glides smoothly across the eyelid. You’ll recognise many of the brands listed below, but you’ll also find brands that specialise in hypoallergenic or natural make-up. Their products are designed with sensitive users in mind, so are the best option when comparing hypoallergenic eyeliners.
While it’s important to find a hypoallergenic eyeliner to look after your delicate eye area, it’s essential to replace your make-up every six months. This will ensure that nothing becomes contaminated, which could cause even worse irritation to your eyes and skin. Keep your make-up products and applicators clean by washing them regularly, as this will also reduce the chance of infections or irritations. There are a great range of products and brands offering hypoallergenic solutions, and you’ll be in safe hands with any of these eyeliners listed above.
If you enjoyed this article on the best hypoallergenic eyeliner you might also like to read about the best UV nail lamps.