reviewsmag.co.uk is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. This does not affect the price that you pay and helps us to get the information to you for free.
What is a Hammer Drill? It may sound like a wrestling move, but it’s a tool every person with a remote interest in DIY has dreamed of. This item is a handheld machine that executes powerful drilling techniques to get through hard surfaces like masonry and concrete – all at the pull of a trigger. The drill has a back and forth action that resembles a hammer that presents its namesake. The mechanics give it that little extra push to ensure your surfaces a cracked into as smoothly and accurately as possible. Today we are on the lookout for the best hammer drill UK has to offer.
The Hammer Drill is not a fundamental tool in DIY, but that’s not to say it isn’t useful. More people are undertaking some serious DIY projects, even as a hobby, that require dealing with some of the hard surfaces to plunder. Traditional drills are great for wood and cracking into light walls to hang pictures or thread things together. The Hammer Drill makes easy work of masonry, and can even be used to destroy or separate pesky concrete.
There may not be much beginner usage for this drill in DIY, but that’s not to say you will eventually need one. Most Hammer Drills are used at a professional level given their immense power- but they are becoming more frequent in moderate DIY use. Some differ in their drill-bit length, and some tailored to specific materials. Naturally, there are many different Hammer Drills available that may require particular skills, varied applications and safety knowledge.
Best Hammer Drill UK
We’ve listed our favourites of the bunch that would best suit our DIYers.
BLACK+DECKER 18 V Cordless 2-Gear Combi Hammer Drill Power Tool with Kitbox
Starting off our favourites list, the Black+Decker Combi Hammer Drill is a perfect entry point for those needing to step up their drilling game. We think that this is the best hammer drill UK has to offer right now. The price point is excellent at £59.45 and features a 10-torque setting with the application for various types of screw driving. The Hammer Drill is generally useable for all surfaces but may struggle a little bit on the extra hard ones. It does have an easy key-lock mechanism that makes changing drill bits a pleasure, however.
- A compact two gear combi drill for all screw driving, drilling and hammer drilling into wood, metal and masonry
- All metal motor and gearbox that deliver 21 000 BPM for hammer drilling in masonry applications and 0 - 1 400 RPM variable speed for drilling and screw driving applications
- 10 torque setting for precise screw driving into various materials and the variable speed function for control in a range of applications
Bosch EasyImpact 550 Hammer Drill
We naturally have to provide the best option for our DIY hobbyists, and the Bosch EasyImpact 550 is the best Hammer Drill for that category. The piece is lightweight, compact in design and very easy to use. The well-designed handle and trigger make simpler jobs hassle-free, but we wouldn’t use it to carve stone! The price is very reasonable at £48.99, and would definitely make a great first Hammer Drill.
- Easy to use for everyone: dedicated to enjoying hobbyists
- Easy to control: most lightweight and compact corded impact drills
- Compact Design without compromising in power
HYCHIKA 60N·m Cordless Hammer Drill
Moving on to the more professional favourites, the Hychika 60N certainly strikes irons well. This Hammer Drill is excellent for penetrating all surfaces. There is very little the product can’t handle. The fast-charging battery will keep you going as long as you need to, with LED lighting to see what is going on in those darker drill holes. The brushless motor allows for excellent speed and performance, and the £119.99 price tag also boasts a large number of accessories that come with the drill.
Bosch PBH 2100 RE Rotary Hammer Drill
The Bosch PBH 2100 is one that is best suited for intermediate applications but features internal mechanisms that don’t go unnoticed. The piece excels in its user-friendliness without any need to operate anything more than the trigger. The impact stops for precise control of drilling are fantastic for the £74.99 price. Furthermore, the easy switch between the additional functions of hammering, chiselling and screw driving make the item a pleasure to use on the surfaces it’s able to tackle.
- Powerful 550 W motor for all applications in drilling concrete, steel and wood
- Keyless chuck for quick and easy bit change
- Selection switch for hammering, chiselling, drilling or screwdriving
Bosch Professional 0611911000 Cordless Rotary Hammer
As are all of Bosch’s tools, the Professional Rotary Hammer Drill is a very highly functional piece of equipment. The drill allows for a high degree of control over the power put into the surface. It’s easy to use, and the real winner with this item is the mechanisms to assist with removing any jammed drill bits. This one is in for the long haul, with very durable exteriors and easily replaceable parts. The drill is £129, and undoubtedly our favourite.
- The Bosch Professional cordless rotary hammer GBH 18 V - 20 with 18 V and 20 mm drilling performance in concrete
- Wide range of possible applications thanks to drilling, hammer drilling and chiselling functions
- The right power for standard applications thanks to 1.7 joule of impact energy in entry range
Bosch Cordless Hammer Drill Universal Impact 18
Bosch maintains it’s level of excellence with the Universal Impact Drill with great value at £88.76. It doesn’t possess the same functionality as some of its superior models but does allow for super control over speed. The piece is very ergonomic for comfortable use and features 20 torque settings and a 2-speed gear perfect for home DIY.
- The Universal tools from Bosch, versatile and strong with intelligent solutions for bigger projects
- Right amount of power for every task: 3-in-1 that can be used for screwing, drilling and impact drilling. It also features 20 torque settings for screwing in different materials
- Versatile Use in Different Materials: Drilling and screw driving in wood and metal or impact drilling in masonry
BLUE RIDGE Cordless Hammer Drill 20V Max
While the Blue Ridge Cordless Hammer Drill isn’t the best drill on our list, it undoubtedly has the best value at £79.99. The item features variable speeds, a key-less chuck and a 21 torque setting to get jobs done. The real value comes in the 43 piece accessory set and the 2-year warranty that is bundled with the drill. Any drill bit you could think of is included, so you’ll never need to worry about going out to buy yet another piece of the item.
- [Lithium-Ion battery technology]Powerful 2x1.5Ah Lithium-Ion battery and 1-hour fast charger, for use with all DIY and garden tools in the BlueRidge 20 volt system
- [21+1+1 Clutch position]21 Pre-Selectable Torque,drill and impact drill setting,Integrated LED light for optimum illumination of dark work areas
- [Variable speed]Thanks to the variable automatic speed control, the 20V Max hammer drill always delivers the optimum power for the task at hand;two speed gearbox
What To Look For In A Hammer Drill
When looking for the right Hammer Drill for you, the factor to remember is that this is a powerful tool. As a tool that’s a bit more up the scale of DIY experience, there are more things to think about. Your choice may depend on what surface you want to work with, or if you are keen to destroy something.
Some drills are excellent for all-around jobs, some are dedicated to specific tasks. Universal aspects to think about though would be the comfort and safety of the item. Additional factors would be the size and portability of the drill.
The Hammer Drills that are most revered tend to be the ones that have the most comfort. The recoil is quite strong, and people often prefer drills with very comfortable handles to be able to tackle those long days of work. Ease of use would be another significant factor to make sure your drill points are accurate and forceful as possible, with minimal effort. Finally, the other most important feature would be its lifespan.
The drill can face a lot of wear and tear dealing with hard surfaces, and you would want to make sure that the item won’t malfunction in its first spin. Many brands have confidence in their products and do have extended warranties to counterbalance any worries about longevity.
The Hammer Drill is the perfect tool to get those complex jobs done. Another fantastic DIY tool that makes a dig into those tough surfaces a satisfying task.