reviewsmag.co.uk is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. This does not affect the price that you pay and helps us to get the information to you for free.
If you have thick and curly hair, it can be a nightmare to straighten due to its texture and thickness. However, once in a while, it’s great to completely change your appearance and have straight hair for a few days. Finding the right straighteners for your hair type is so important, and will make the task of straightening your hair so much quicker and easier. Here are our top recommendation for straighteners that are specifically designed with thick and curly-haired individuals in mind. So what should you look for in the Best Straightener for Thick Curly Hair?
What to look for?
The key thing to look for when purchasing a new pair of straighteners are ones with wide plates. Due to the texture and thickness of your hair, a regular or thin pair of straighteners wouldn’t be a good choice for you as they would take a long time to work through the layers of your hair. For coarse hair, titanium plates are usually more effective, as they heat up quickly and can reach a higher temperature than ceramic plates. However, this can also lead to more damage in the long run, so ensure you are using a heat protectant spray before every use. Most straighteners with ceramic plates feature multiple heat settings, so they can also reach high temperatures. The top brands to look at when purchasing a new pair of straighteners are GHD, Remington or BaByliss, and between these brands they offer products to fit every budget.
Best Straightener for Thick Curly Hair
ghd Max Styler Professional Ceramic Hair Straighteners
ghd are renowned for their high-quality straighteners, and this model is the perfect option for users with thick and curly hair.
- Optimum styling temperature of 185C
- Advanced ceramic heat technology
- Smooth & contoured floating 2 inch plates for snag free styling
The 2-inch plates are smooth and contoured, which ensures your hair doesn’t snag whilst being styled. A two-year warranty is included with your purchase. The straighteners heat to 185°C, which is an optimum styling temperature, and they offer advanced ceramic heat technology for long-lasting results. While these are one of the more expensive options on the market at £149, by purchasing from ghd, you are guaranteed a product that will last you for many years to come.
TYMO Hair Straightener Brush – TYMO RING Curly Hair Straightener
For £70, you’ll get a fantastic alternative to traditional hair straighteners, which are ideal for curly hair. This hair straightening brush features five different heat settings, so the top heat options are ideal for your curly or thick hair.
- 🌸TYMO RING = Straightener & Volumizer - TYMO RING is designed with heat resistant protective shell and ceramic heating plate for detangling, straightening, and even improved volume. Unique golden ratio design for smoothing your hair, while the round edges create volume.
- 🌸ATTAIN SALON RESULTS AT YOUR OWN HOUSE - TYMO RING applies smarter chips for precise heating. The TYMO patented technology in heat styling which guarantees homogeneous heat across your every hair allows consistent beautiful results in one stroke.
- 🌸SAFETY IS TYMO'S BOTTOMLINE - Powered by heat resistant protective plate, anti-burning shell, and 30 min automatic sleep mode for peace of mind, TYMO RING guards your safety in every second.
They have chips to ensure precise heating which will give you great results with just one stroke of the device. The heating plate helps to detangle and straighten your hair at the same time, and there is a golden ratio design which helps to smooth your hair further.
Toni & Guy Wide Plate Hair Straightener XXL
Toni & Guy are renowned for their hairstyling expertise, and these wide plate straighteners are perfect for thick and curly hair.
- 235C with 10 LED variable heats, auto shut off after 60 minutes
- Extra wide 38 mm and extra long 120mm rounded plates ideal for thick hair, 2x more coverage compared to a standard TONI&GUY straightener
- Advanced ionic tourmaline plates to help reduce damage from over-styling
Costing just £39.86, they feature extra-wide 38 mm plates which are 120 mm in length. This gives them two times more coverage in comparison to their standard model. There are ten different heat settings to choose from, and the ionic tourmaline plates will help to reduce the chance of damage if used frequently. They come with a five-year guarantee, which is fantastic considering their price point.
Remington Shine Therapy Wide Plate Ceramic Hair Straighteners for Longer Thicker Hair
For £29.99, you can enjoy these wide plate ceramic straighteners from Remington. The plates are infused with Moroccan Argan oil, which will make your hair look shiny and beautiful once straightened.
- Advanced Ceramic coated plates infused with Moroccan Argan Oil for beautiful, shiny looking hair
- 110mm x 45mm wide floating plates, to capture even more hair in one pass
- Nine temperature settings 150-235C, choose the temperature to suit your hair type
The plates are 110mm x 45mm in size, which means you can capture plenty of strands of hair in one pass. There are nine different temperature settings to choose from, and they’ll be ready to use in just fifteen seconds. For thick and curly hair, I’d recommend using the highest heat setting possible.
Basuwell Professional Hair Straighteners Wide Plates for Thick Hair
Specifically designed with thick hair in mind, these Basuwell professional hair straighteners offer five temperature settings for the perfect finish.
- 【✔】Wide Carbon Steel Heating Panel: 30s heat up,and provides even distribution of heat and ensure full contact and snag free when straightening hair.
- 【✔】5 Temperature-Lock Settings: 140°C, 160°C, 180°C, 200°C, 220°C five-speed temperature control provide the perfect finish for your hair type.
- 【✔】User-friendly Design: Anti-slip handle with wide cool tip keep away from the heat and salon styling flat irons with 360 ℃ swivel cord (prevents tangling), suitable for both hands.
The plates offer even distribution of heat and keep your hair snag-free when in use. They are a professional pair of hair straighteners, which are especially good for thick, curly and wavy hair. To make them easier to use, they have an anti-slip handle and a cool tip for your safety. For £26.99, you’ll receive a high-quality product at a low price point.
BaByliss Wide Plate Sleek Control Straightener
These BaByliss wide plate straighteners are ideal for curly and thick hair, thanks to their 45 mm plates. The plates allow you to style large sections of hair in one go for a shorter styling time.
- Up to 235°C salon performance.
- Wide 45mm plates style larger sections at one for fast results.
- 20 temperature settings for all hair types.
There are an incredible twenty different temperature settings to suit all hair types, reaching up to 235°C for salon performance. The keratin-ceramic plates will glide through your hair smoothly, and the heating system ensures the straighteners remain at a high heat level consistently. For £24.99, they are a great value option for anyone looking for a wide plate straightener that will work well for their hair type.
KIPOZI Professional Hair Straighteners 1.75 Inch Wide Plate Titanium Flat Iron
For a great value option, consider these KIPOZI hair straighteners which cost just £21.59. They heat up in just seconds, and the temperature can be adjusted from 80°C to 230°C to fit your needs.
No products found.
These straighteners feature large titanium plates, which will help to evenly distribute the heat and straighten your hair in less time. To ensure your cord doesn’t tangle, the device features a swivel cord, and it has a universal voltage meaning you can use them wherever you travel in the world.
Whenever you are straightening your hair, ensure you use a heat protectant beforehand, which you should apply in sections on your thick and curly hair. After straightening, for extra shine and to help hold your new hairstyle, consider adding hairspray or serum. Make sure you don’t overload your hair with product before starting, or you will end up with greasy-looking hair. By finding the right pair of straighteners, even the thickest hair can look sleek and smooth without spending hours getting ready.
We hope that you enjoyed this guide to the Best Straightener for Thick Curly Hair. You might also like to see these best hair straighteners for fine hair.